Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-16 17:38:48

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 12:17:21PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 12:08:30AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

      interestingly, some software vendors ship w/ license
      keys tied to IP addresses... particularly for enterprise
      level stuff.  not so easy to update in my experience.

        I've always thought that practice to be STUPID.  It was
        stupid 15 years ago and it is still stupid today.  Yes
        I've had to renumber sites with keys tied to IP addresses.

  stupid or not, it exists and is not ammenable to automation.

    Why isn't it?  It's just one more message for the management
    station to push out.

      notifcation sure...  getting the other side to re-issue the license
      with the new IP's (which the MS has to figure out what they are on
      its own, wiht the kewl AI-based smarts that it has) - and then
      getting the new code installed/configured ... all under the automated
      hands of "master control".... is a different set of considerations.

        Actually if they want to tie the licence to a address, a ULA
        would provide exactly the same level of assurance they get
        today and make it independent of PA renumber events.

      David is correct, scale does have its own set of renumbering
      problems.  While i believe you, i think your confidence
      is based on some naieve assumptions.

        I'm not saying scale doesn't have problems.  Automation
        however is the solution to those problems.  That's why
        management stations were invented.

  automation can augment renumbering events, but until we
  have a fundamental change in architecture, renumbering will require
  human intervention and will always be disruptive.

    It doesn't take a change in architecture.  We have the
    technology today to remove the need to tie anything to specific
    IP addresses.  It just requires the willingness to use it.

      simple assertion does not make it so.  perhaps we should make a checkli
st
      and see which things meet your criteria.  (my assertion that location/I
      overload is built in to both IPv4 and IPv6 seems to be born out by the
      specs, documentation, and commentary over the past 25 years ... and tha
      until one can cleanly seperate the two, that renumbering will be diffic
ult
      should also be tested)  I have provided TWO cases where renumbering is
      is difficult to automate - i'm sure i can find others.  I beleive your
      claim (oblique as it may be) is that the DNS name is the long-term pers
istant
      identifier...  I tried to make that claim a decade ago and was persuade
      (eventually) otherwise.  Time to dig through the archives to see if tha
      logic still holds true.

    Mark

--bill
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET:
Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org