Re: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

2007-09-20 05:45:21
On 19-sep-2007, at 22:51, Thomas Narten wrote:

And owners of those services
will simply go to ISPs and say "route this, or I'll find someone else
who will". And the sales and marketing departments of many ISPs will
fall over each other to be the first to say "why certainly we'd love
your business".

I used to work at a large ISP with exactly these kinds of sales people. They have a hard time taking "no" for an answer from the engineers, but when the engineers say "sure we can do it but it isn't going to work" and then, lo and behold, it doesn't work, they tend to catch on.

I.e., you can pay YOUR ISP to route your ULAs, but that doesn't mean the next ISP is going to accept those advertisements.

Obviously unbelievable amounts of money will make a difference here, but how does it make sense to go visit all the largest ISPs handing out money if you can get a PI or PA block much cheaper and easier?