Re: IANA Update: Project to convert registries to XML

2008-07-21 13:30:56
"Stephane" == Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> writes:

Stephane> Why a dVCS? Any VCS would make it, and Subversion, for
Stephane> instance, would be a good choice. If we use a dVCS,

More efficient.  Everything works better with local history.  Svn wastes
a lot of disk by keeping two copies of every file in each checkout.  At
least a dVCS can compress the store.

Stephane> I vote for darcs.

Doesn't darcs have a bug they can't fix?  esr's recent survey of the
dVCSs concluded that git, hg and bzr are the best choices.  He
considered performance, as well as community involvement and how many
other projects are using each dVCS, on the theory that bugs get fixed
faster when more people use it.

-JimC

(As a side note, my initial mention of rsync breaking was a misnomer.
My rsync job only grabs rfcs and i-ds.  I had conflated that with a
request I sent some months (years?) back to make ftp.iana.org rsyncable.
It is only ftp which hadn't been updated since April.  And in a off-list
reply IANA said they plan to fix that.)

--
James Cloos <cloos(_at_)jhcloos(_dot_)com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6