Re: [Sip] Last Call: draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework (Frameworkfor Establishing an SRTP Security Context using DTLS) to ProposedStandard

2008-11-03 11:27:58
Dear Pasi,

Thanks for pointing many RFCs and an approved draft as useful precedents applicable to the draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework. This indeed addresses the issue I raised.

See in-line below for feedback not specific to the draft at stake.

Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:
Hi Thierry,

There's ample precedent for using self-signed certificates to carry
public keys in situations where a "bare public key mode" (if TLS/DTLS
had it -- IKEv2 does have this, BTW) would have worked, too.

Exactly the same approach as in this draft (exchange fingerprints via
SDP, and use those to check self-signed certificates used in TLS/DTLS)
is already used in RFCs 4572, 4582, and 4975.

In this lineage, I find it difficult to follow the many security schemes which ultimately allows a relying party to affix a trust rating to the bind between a public key and a remote party identification. (The many security schemes are created by the many alternatives in the specifications.) As an example, in the section 14.4 (end of 2nd paragraph) in RFC4975, I read:

  "If the endpoint is also able to make
   anonymous sessions, a distinct, unique certificate MUST be used for
   this purpose.  For a client that works with multiple users, each user
   SHOULD have its own certificate.  Because the generation of
   public/private key pairs is relatively expensive, endpoints are not
   required to generate certificates for each session."

It is unclear whether "distinct, unique certificate" also imply "dictinct, unique public/private key pair". I don't recall a generic mandatory provision where certificate rollover implies public key rollover. (Obviously public key commonality among users or sessions somehow impairs anonymity.)

This is just an example of questions I ask myself in reading these elaborate specifications where the rationales for establishing trust are found only after figuring out a specific selection of protocol deployment options.

Several other RFCs (e.g. 3261, 3920, 5380) and drafts (e.g.
draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls, currently in RFC Editor Queue) also use self-signed certificates in some way.

I broadly classify these in two categories:

SSH-public-key-introduction derivatives, where an operator is expected to accept the remote party public key upon first use, which is an un-debatably effective deployment strategy.

RFC3920 (section 14.2) is an interesting case which formalizes the browser pop-up windows for accepting security certificate (otherwise thou shall not browse) in the case of instant messaging.

I wasn't able to come up with a characterization fo RFC5380. It seems to make a statement about the possible existence of self-signed certificates, but the purpose of this statement was unclear to me.

(Of course, using self-signed certificates for some particular purpose
can't set a precedent that they'd be the best solution to all possible
problems. They're a useful tool, but some problems require using
other tools.)

(Indeed.)

Best regards, Pasi

Same,