Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 17:42:38
You keep citing 1.5 billion users.  I haven't asked all of them, of
course, but I keep finding that users don't trust their email to be
reliable, and they don't know how to find an email service that is
reliable.  Mostly they maintain several different email accounts and try
sending from multiple accounts in the hopes that one of those messages
will get there.  Those that haven't given up on email entirely, that is.

I really think that if you can design and standardize a protocol for
reporting reputation which includes a mechanism for making the
reputation service accountable to end users, and also is reasonably
secure, you might seriously improve email reliability.  I just don't
think that DNSBL is good enough for that and I doubt that DNS can be
stretched far enough to make that work well.

Keith