Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-09 23:51:46
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:40:43 -0500
Tony Hansen <tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm personally very interested in getting the format for querying DNS
*white* lists standardized. I want to be able to use DNSWLs as part of
*positive reputation* checking: given an *authenticated* domain name
(say, with DKIM), can we say something positive about them beyond
"they send email"?

The protocol described in this draft covers both cases, both positive
and negative checking.

While the majority of the examples in the document concentrates on
negative examples, the protocol *is* useful for the positive case.

Does anyone have issues with the use of this protocol for WHITE lists?

In some sense, I have more trouble with white lists than black lists.

My concern is centralization of power.  If used properly, white lists
are fine.  If used improperly, they're a way to form an email cartel,
forcing organizations to buy email transit from a member of the inner
circle.