Re: Comments on Draft IRTF ASRG DNSBL - 07

2008-11-11 17:57:30
Hi -

From: "Jonathan Curtis" <Jonathan(_dot_)Curtis(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:49 PM
Subject: Comments on Draft IRTF ASRG DNSBL - 07
2. The impact of DNSxL's when applied on Inbound Email Servers
is significant with very little collateral damage.

I guess this depends on one's view of what consitutes "very little
collateral damage."  I've had my own mail blocked, both when sent
from my current ISP, Earthlink, as well as when sent via the servers of
my last employer, BMC Software.  As mailing list admin
for three IETF-hosted mailing lists (disman, agentx, and ltru) I've
seen bounces and automatic unsubscribes due to IETF's
infrastucture having been blacklisted.  Thus I'm rather
skeptical about "very little collateral damage."  This may
be due to misuse of DNSxL technology or other reputation
systems, but if this small sample is any indication of the
extent to which the technology is being used inappropriately
or incorrectly, it suggests that significant educational effort in
"correct" or "appropriate" uses of the technology is needed.
(Assuming that it's not an indication that there are fundamental
architectural flaws...)

"Informational" makes sense to me at this time.
"Proposed Standard" does not.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg53668.html
sums up the issues nicely, in my opinion.

Randy