RE: The internet architecture

2009-01-05 13:24:20
I spent several years trying to discern what the IETF's Internet
Architecture became when we abandoned our historic architecture and
started growing the middle of the hour glass through middleboxes and
telephony-originated techniques. For several years in the early 2000s I
became convinced that we had no architecture and I lamented that fact.
Recently I realized that we had stumbled upon a common architecture but
hadn't yet realized it -- map-and-encaps is our current Internet
architecture. I believe that the techniques described in Fred Templin's
current I-D trilogy should be re-written to state that those techniques
describe our current de facto Internet architecture.