Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review and comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-08 23:14:16

On 2009-01-09 13:59, Stephen Farrell wrote:
+1 to fred's proposal, let the exceptions be just that and don't bother
most I-D authors,
Stephen.

On 8 Jan 2009, at 22:49, Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

You asked me to make this comment publicly, so here it is.

In my opinion, we need a 5378-bis that keeps the good bits but
corrects the issue that has been problematic. The question before the
house is how best to achieve that. The proposal here is to provide a
work-around that enables an internet draft author to state that s/he
has not verified the transferability of his/her text, which will work
until an appropriate 5378-bis can be produced. This means that the
tools people have to produce and accept the work-around and later on
change the tools to accept 5378-bis, and it places a burden on authors
to make that statement.

From my perspective, the best approach involves keeping the general
case simple. The documents that have been transferred outside the IETF
in the past five years is a single digit number, a tenth of a percent
of all RFCs if not a smaller fraction.

If that was the main problem, I would agree. But it isn't; it's the ability
to allow appropriate use of extracts, including code extracts, in 3rd
party documents. That potentially concerns every RFC, and automatically
concerns every RFC that is a new version of an older one.

It isn't hard to fix in my opinion (well, I just posted a draft with
the proposed fix) and I don't see that it *requires* any tool fixes.
Optionally, the tools could provide a macro that expands to the
disclaimer text, but cut-and-paste would work equally well.

     Brian

From my perspective, the
simplest solution to the transfer issue is to ask the people relevant
to a document for which transfer has been suggested whether they have
an issue with transferring it, rather than asking every document
author his or her opinion on the vast majority of documents, which
will never be transferred. Remember that this boilerplate affects
internet drafts, but most internet drafts are discussion documents - a
fraction of internet drafts even become RFCs, and a small fraction of
RFCs are transferred elsewhere.

As to the other issues that 5378 addresses, I suspect that a better
approach will be to fall back to 3978/4748/2026 temporarily and move
to 5378-bis when it comes rather than to use this very general
workaround to 5378's issues until 5378-bis is resolved. 3978 etc
worked just fine for most purposes...