Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments on ...

2009-01-26 13:43:08

Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 1:10 PM -0500 1/26/09, Sam Hartman wrote:
I think having an opt-in list of people who have agreed to IETF IPR policy
would be better.

That list could be pre-populated with email addresses from all current IETF
lists to which the "note well" has been sent.

That would seem to defeat the apparent purpose of this new list, namely distinct
and explicit acknowledgment of the IPR policy.

There is a difference between passing a Note Well past someone who is focussing
on some other task, such as contributing to a technical discussion, versus
having subscription be solely for the purpose of acknowledging the IPR policy.

d/

ps. I'm not commenting on the efficacy of doing this separate list, merely
trying to be clear about its differential semantics.

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking