Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review and comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-29 01:46:43

On Jan 21, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Bob Braden wrote:

At 11:58 PM 1/20/2009, Dean Willis wrote:

Given that we've historically weeded out the contributor-list on a
document to "four or less", even if there were really dozens of
"contributors" at the alleged insistence of the RFC Editor, I don't
see how any older document or even a majority of new documents-in- progress could be adapted to the new rules.

Whoa! This contains several errors of fact and implication. The number authors named on the front page of an RFC are generally limited to 5 (there are occasional exceptions for
good cause).  This rule was arrived at after discussions in
the IETF and it has enjoyed general community support; it was not "at the insistence of the RFC Editor". The RFC Editor 's role was to alert the community to a tendency towards ballooning of author lists when every telecomm vendor wanted their name on the RFC, and perhaps it is true that the magic number "5" (which could have been 4 or 6 or ....) was chosen and documented by the RFC Editor. Otherwise, it was a community
consensus.

At the time that the 5 limit was put in place, a new Contributors section was added to RFCs
to contain the overflow authors/contributors.

Yes, 5 is the number I should have said, and I'll accept your description of the history involved. Note my use of the term "alleged" in ascribing the origin to RFCEd; it is what I recall my AD telling me at the time. As the judge might say, this is "hearsay", and inadmissible in court ;-).

It is my personal opinion, based on this history, that for IPR purposes we ought to treat those listed in the Contributors sections as having equal copyrights to those named on the front page. (Maybe the Contributors section ought to come early in the RFC, rather than late. but that would be another discussion.) OTOH, the RFC Editor recoils from the idea that those in the Contributors section should logically be included in the AUTH48
process; let's not!.

I concur that Contributors need to be considered from a copyright/IPR perspective.

The problem is that every RFC I'm aware of that was produced by a working contains tens to hundreds of contributions made either on- list, off-list (direct to an editor, or indirectly through another contributor and onto an editor) or made verbally, possibly at a microphone, possibly in a hallway discussion, or possibly at a meeting of an entirely different SDO, such as 3GPP or OMA, and relayed directly or indirectly into IETF.

We don't track these in the Author's section, and generally only the most vigorous of such contributors are noted as Contributors in common practice. We might have to change this, and Theo has outlined one procedure for doing so using source-control, although we'd need to extend this to cover the additional contribution channels (which could be really hard).

While NEW contributions brought into IETF might ostensibly be covered by our "Note Well", it seems that this would NOT apply to any document currently in-progress, or any document derived from a pre-5378 document.

Consequently, the only way to develop a document that I could sign off as being "RFC 5378 compliant" in the fullest sense would be clean-room development; that is, it would have to be started post-5378, copy no text from pre-5378 documents (or external specifications), and have the provenance of every contribution to the document carefully recorded for the purpose of tracking the assignment and assignability of rights related to that contribution. Even then, it could get foiled by somebody accidentally including a blurb overheard at a 3GPP meeting; while this might protect the IETF's liability, it could still taint the document. Of course, that's nothing new, and we've lived with that aspect so far.

Otherwise said, since we don't have a record of the contributions made to pre-5378 documents, we can never be sure that the rights necessary to publish the document with a full assignment-of-rights ala RFC 5378 have actually been granted. At best, we can assume that the untracked contributions were made under the IPR terms of the time, which obviously have a lesser scope than RFC 5378. So the only thing we can do with any documents that were discussed on-list, a a meeting, or otherwise contain pre-5378 contributions is to publish them with a restricted rights statement.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer. I professionally consult to lawyers about technical aspects of intellectual property, and this whole thing makes my head throb worse than tensor calculus. I hope I'm completely wrong about everything I think I understand.

--
Dean