Re: [lisp] LISP: update to charter in external review

2009-03-30 22:41:42
"Michael" == Michael Menth
<menth(_at_)informatik(_dot_)uni-wuerzburg(_dot_)de> writes:

    Michael> The sentence "who you are" is rather confusing to me
    Michael> although its intention is certainly to be a simple and
    Michael> catchy explanation. However, "you" - the user (?) is
    Michael> probably not an edge interface designator. "who you are"
    Michael> suggests that the identifier has something to do with the
    Michael> identity of some device or its owner (whoever "you" is)
    Michael> that would stay the same when moving around which is
    Michael> clearly not the case in this context.

    Michael> Wouldn't it be clearer to say: core Routing Locators
    Michael> (which describe "where" an edge network is attached to
    Michael> the Internet core) and edge interface designators (which
    Michael> describe to "which" interface a device is attached within
    Michael> an edge network)? I find this easier to understand and
    Michael> according to my understanding this is 100% in line with
    Michael> the third paragraph of the charter.

the second paragraph is intended to be far more general than LISP and
carefully avoids using any LISP terms.  I think it is accurate,
although the pronoun "you" is unbound.  For LISP, it's an edge network
(in your vocabulary),a site in others' vocabulary, etc.  For HIPP, you
is bound to a something.  Some people would probably say stack,
although that's misleading as HIP explicitly supports stacks with
multiple HITs.  For shim6, you is bound to something close to stack,
although it's a bit more complicated than that.

The second paragraph has not undergone a lot of editing other than to
remove LISP-specific terms from the general description.  However, it
also has not drawn a lot of fire.  If you do try to build consensus
behind a change, I strongly recommend against introducing new terms or
acronym expansions.