DHCPv6 - Help Needed

2009-04-18 04:28:16
Hello All

This is Faheem.

I am not sure if I have transgressed by using this forum to seek help to
setting up DHCPv6 in a test LAB.

For last six months I and my team are busy setting up IPv6 in a test lab. So
far we have succeeded in the following:

LAN
 Dual stack host machines (Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7)
 Servers, Dual Stack (Windows Server 2003 and 2008)

WAN (Leased Line link of 2Mbps capacity)
 Cisco Routers running IPv6 enabled IOS (Dual Stack and IPv6 only Config,
both cases)
 RIPv6

The communication is happening on the network (LAN & WAN) very well with
static IPv6 address assignments. Local hosts file are doing right
resolutions. Windows server 2003 doesn't offer stateful address allocation
while Windows server 2008 does allow this feature but practically speaking
XP and Vista clients seem to be not aware of such a server on LAN. Windows 7
gets the IP address but couldn't communicate with other machines and says
"General Transmit Failure" error. The same machines when given static IP
address works very well.

Objectives:
 To have a stateful IPv6 DHCP addresses assignment so the clients are
populated in a controlled manner, especially in a typical office
environment.

I wish if I could get help to setting up a DHCPv6 Server offering stateful
address assignment and would allow to advertise server options too like
default gateway, preferred DNS servers. Our current scenario is based on
Windows Servers offering DNS, PROXY, File Sharing, and DHCPv4 services.
Every client which comes on LAN, is known to administrators and have group
policies enforced.

We have tried Dibbler on Linux and Windows both but in turn it has its own
practical limitations that wouldn't fit in our scenario.

Thanking You
Faheem Syed Muhammed