RE: WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-25 15:33:40
A host may have multiple default gateways on the same "interface".
However, those gateways should be usable interchangeably. All of those
gateways
should have the same "values" for the properties above. Otherwise, I would
argue the network is broken and/or the host is misconfigured. In other words,
it
can pick any of its live gateways outbound, and may receive packets from any
of those gateways in the other direction. If I'm not mistaken, the IETF
IPv6 wireless network is an example of this.

There are obvious examples where multiple gateways make sense. For example, a
home network could have routers attached to different broadband providers, with
different bandwidth and different connectivity characteristics. Rémi, you may
believe that this is a configuration error, but it is only an error because our
protocols do not handle that configuration very well. I would expect MIF to
address the problem and suggest fixes...

-- Christian Huitema