Re: Beyond reproach, accountability and regulation

2009-04-28 23:28:38

Here is a dictionary definition of "Beyond reproach":

Beyond reproach:  So good as to preclude any possibility of criticism.

Last time I looked, RFC 3777 did not include this definition as a requirement
for the nomcom in selection of I* candidates.

Good thing, too.  We seem to have "gotten by" with candidates with occasional
imperfections over the years.

Given the impossibility of populating all leadership positions with individuals
"beyond reproach", or even defining all potentially problematic behaviors, what
is the way forward?  How do we move "beyond reproach"?

Years ago, the Direct Marketing Association Nonprofit Federation (of all
people)  published an article called 'Moving Beyond Reproach' that talks about
moving beyond accountability initiatives:
http://www.the-dma.org/nonprofitfederation/March2005final.pdf

Some quotes:

"though nonprofits could seemingly drown in the flood of accountability
initiatives, there is virtually no support for nonprofit leaders in dealing
with actual ethical crises..."

"it is clear that the nonprofit sector can do more good by focusing on ways to
provide real support for dealing with actual crises than by trying to abolish
them by decree."

Some food for thought.