RE: [Trustees] [IAB] Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-06-24 09:58:36

--On Tuesday, June 23, 2009 17:04 -0400 "Contreras, Jorge"
<Jorge(_dot_)Contreras(_at_)wilmerhale(_dot_)com> wrote:

The statement in 2.b, in conjunction with a July 2009
Effective Date (see the top of the document), leaves
documents published between the presumptive Effective Date of
the procedures in effect today and that date in a strange
sort of never-never land, since 2.b doesn't mention 5378.

The Feb. 15 version of the TLP is currently in effect.
Documents published between Feb. 15 and the effectiveness of
the revised TLP will continue to be governed by the Feb. 15
TLP.  There should be no gap in coverage.

I agree.  But that isn't what the document appears to say --
either to me or to an attorney friend to whom I showed it
yesterday (we were meeting about something else entirely, and
not in his lawyer capacity, but it seemed like an opportunity
for some quick calibration of whether my seeing the apparent
ambiguity was just my lack of legal training).

I can only infer from this that the Trustees did not do a
careful review of the proposed new procedures in toto.

That is not true.

Glad to hear it.

    john