Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-06 03:23:48
On Jul 5, 2009, at 05:02, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Jun 29, 2009, at 16:22, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

It is not the height of the barrier, it is the perception that people are making nit-picking objections for the sake of rubbing people's noses in the fact that they can decide where to put the bar.

[my piquant comment elided for space]

Lets unpack this argument: In the serious publishing world there are editors who review prose and nit pick. Therefore all nit picking is evidence of serious publishing and all criticism comes from 'unpublishable wankers'.

I don't want to go that far. Let me revise my remarks: the perception of editors making seemingly arbitrary objections about *manuscript formatting*, primarily for the purpose of "rubbing the noses" of prospective authors in their own plebeianness, is a very common trait among unpublishable wankers. (Being an unpublishable wanker myself still, I'm speaking from experience *and* close observation of my peers.)

Shorter james: I'll need to be convinced that perception is fair before I can join in the pillorying of our I-D submissions system maintainers.

--
james woodyatt <jhw(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering