Re: XML2RFC must die, was: Re: Two different threads - IETF

2009-07-06 16:44:04
Yaakov Stein wrote:

... and don't get me started on LaTeX.

I am not sure what problems you had with LaTeX, but as someone who has
written thousands of pages using TeX,
I can't imagine anything better for professional document preparation.

I bought the TeXbook in 1989 and liked it, despite the learning curve.

I tried LaTeX in 1992 and junked it.  The header&footers used
in the LaTeX book where impossible to create with LaTeX (which I think
amounts to cheating), so I dropped back to plain TeX.

The problem with most LaTeX documents I came across in 1991-1995
was that they used style files that were extremely hard to find
(for someone not using a particular universities infrastructure).

The TeX language/syntax takes a little getting used to.

Personally I don't like XML at all, and the IETF should NEVER standardize
on a particular tool, if any, but only on a very restricted subset of
XML tags, if any.  (So that tools more mainstream languages can be
produced and used).

-Martin