Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

2009-07-17 12:19:22
El Jue 16 Jul 2009 21:15:29 Mark Nottingham escribió:
All of that said, it's pretty clear that despite good practice and
separation of concerns, people are going to want to do this whether we
like it or not. Therefore, I'm inclined to loosen this requirement to
SHOULD NOT (or even degrade it to a non-normative recommendation
against) making extension (NOT registered) relation types format-
specific.

The benefit here is that doing this encourages application-specific
relation types to be defined as extensions, which is their nominated
purpose.

I'd lower it to SHOULD NOT, not to a non-normative recommendation.
I think "the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before
choosing" to define a relation type that limits the target media type :)

(quoted text from BCP 14)