Re: [Trustees] Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-07-20 14:55:41
On 7/20/09 at 9:09 AM -0700, Fred Baker wrote:

On Jul 18, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Scott O. Bradner wrote:

[Numbering mine...]

The IETF Trust determines that there is a specific legal risk that must be countered. In this case (***1***) the IETF Trust posts a description of the specific risk and the proposed change to counter the risk. In this case (***2***) the Trust publishes the proposed changes with a 4-week last call and adopts the changes if (***3***) the IETF Chair determines that there is not IETF consensus against the specific changes.

What do you think the Trust is doing in this case?

They have failed (and continue to fail) to complete step 1.

They have made live changes during step 2 and have not reset the last call counter (which we do not do in IETF LC: If the changes are strictly editorial, the RFC Editor can be asked to make the changes, otherwise we reset the LC).

And there is nothing in the 6/23 announcement or the 7/18 followup to indicate that they intend to fulfill step 3. To the contrary, it says:

Please accept this message as a formal request by the IETF Trustees for your review and feedback on the proposed revision to the TLP document. The comment period will end on July 20, 2009.

I expect the Trustees will decide on whether to adopt this revision shortly after July 20, 2009.

Not good.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102