Re: [Trustees] Objection to reworked para 6.d (Re: Rationale for Proposed TLP Revisions)

2009-07-21 12:41:58
Robert Elz wrote:
    Date:        Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:57:01 +0200
    From:        Harald Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>

  | We have two possibilities:
| | 1 - the update consists of revisions of *every single RFC* that | references the BSD license | 2 - some RFCs continue to carry the BSD license, even while the "real" | current license is different.

Harald,

what you're anticipating there is absurd, if an RFC gets issued containing
code with the BSD licence, then that is the licence that code, in that RFC
will have forevermore, nothing can change that - and nothing should change
that, nothng the trustees or community can do can ever change that - only
the rights holder (author) of the code can cause it to be offered with
some different licence.    Any system where it even looked as if it were
possible for anyone to simply alter the licence under which code that
had previously been published became available would be a disaster.
Robert,

I'm afraid that your perception disagrees with the structure that RFC 5378 set up. The Trust has enough rights to license code under a license of its choice, and has currently chosen to use the BSD license.

The authors may *in addition* license the code under the BSD license, the GPL license, or any other license they feel like using, and there's no way the Trust can stop them from doing that. But neither can the authors restrict the Trust's ability to license the code.

It may be a disaster, but it's been in that state since November 2008.

                 Harald