Re: our pals at ICANN, was Circle of Fifths

2009-11-07 05:53:09
On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 05:28:52AM -0500, Steve Crocker wrote:

On Nov 5, 2009, at 11:30 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

I actually don't think we have any serious disagreement here.
ICANN's management of the root zone is cautious for all sorts of
reasons, and as you note the root server operators have no plans to
say no to what ICANN offers them.  It's always been clear that one
reason is that the consequences if any of the root servers felt
unable or unwilling to accept ICANN's root would be too awful to
contemplate, so it'll never happen.

No, it's not too awful to contemplate.  Far from it.  As a matter of
prudent planning, consideration of the consequences of a root operator
refusing to update the root zone is definitely something that ought to
be part of contingency and disaster planning.

Steve

        actually, from a stability, resiliency and surviabily point of
        view (or just call it contingency and disaster planning) one should
        seriously look at -ALL- the actors who have an operational role
        in the creation and publication of the root zone.

        In general, the root operators have a fairly long track record
        of ensuring the zone gets there.  Some operators are newer at the
        task than others, some of the other actors are just on their first
        decade of service.

        any credible contingency and disaster planning  would have to
        include -ALL- of the operational actors in a coordinated
        response, not something driven by one of them.

        IMHO of course.

--
--bill