Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-sasl-gs2-18

2010-01-08 06:26:26
Alexey Melnikov <alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> writes:

The I-D says:

                                                           The original
  GSS-API->SASL mechanism bridge was specified by [RFC2222], now
  [RFC4752]; we shall sometimes refer to the original bridge as GS1 in
  this document.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Very well. I forgot about that.

There's good reason, even, to want to use "GS1" to refer to RFC4572:
RFC2222/4572's use of "GSSAPI" to refer to the "Kerberos V5 GSS-API
mechanism" is wrong and confusing.  Avoiding confusion is a good thing.

Personally I dislike unnecessary indirection, as it allows for extra
confusion as well. There is only 1 mechanism in GS1 family (ignoring
GSS-SPNEGO), it is called "GSSAPI". So I think the original text is
actually better, if we add a reference and change "prefer" to "use":

 If the application requires SASL security layers then it MUST use the
 SASL "GSSAPI" mechanism [RFC4572] instead of "GS2-KRB5" or "GS2-KRB5-PLUS".

Opinions?

I used this text too.

/Simon