Re: China blocking Wired?

2010-01-12 08:52:50
I've lost count of the number of times I've been to China (somewhere
in the teens), and I'm sure that there are people on this list who've
visited China many more times than that. I've entered and left China
by air, by car (via Hong Kong), and by train (also via Hong Kong).
I've never once had a problem with either immigration or leaving, or
obtaining a visa. I've never once had my bags searched on either entry
or exit, except perhaps for the normal carry-on security check, which
is no different from anywhere else in the world. Frankly, I've
encountered more process when entering Japan than when entering China.

To get a visa, I recommend using a visa service such as CIBT (but
there are many others), which isn't inexpensive, but makes the process
relatively simple. Many employer's travel departments have agencies in
place, so check with your travel agent.

Dean had a question about currency conversion when leaving China.
Years ago, you had to show your receipts for purchased Yuan when
converting back to dollars; however, that hasn't been the case for a
while now.

Cheers,
Andy

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Christer Holmberg