Re: xml2rfc 1.34 on Ubuntu

2010-02-04 13:11:16
On 02/04/2010 08:42 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
apt-get update is so much easier.

I'm not sold (I totally hate ports systems), but
anyway, I'm specifically confused why somebody who's
been anxious to get their hands on 1.34 wouldn't download
it themselves, or just run it through the website.  My
experience has been that xml2rfc runs right out of the box,
no l337 h^x0r skillz required.

It is probably true that manually installing xml2rfc is easy in itself - just
download the new file and unzip it a the right place.  On the other hand, I have
2544 different packages installed in my main computer.  Can you imagine how
difficult it would be to 1) track when new versions of this 2544 packages are
available 2) download them and 3) remember where to install them.  And that's
without starting talking about dependencies, signatures, configuration files
updates, security patches and everything else that make the difference between a
crappy system and a working environment.  Doing all of this requires only a
"sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" each morning on the 8 computers
I manage directly.

So from the point of view of one software like xml2rfc, packaging seems
unnecessary.  From a global point of view, it definitively is.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc(_at_)petit-huguenin(_dot_)org