Re: ietf 1id_guidelines tool broken

2010-02-26 19:25:51

The short response to the information below is that it seems that the
secretariat is still running version 2.12.00 of idnits, while the newer
version 2.12.01 (released 4 Feb 2010) accepts the new boilerplate correctly.
I'm notifying the secretariat so they can update to the newest version.

---

The longer response is that diagnosing this required much more time than
would have been required if all the requested and available information
had been supplied below (instead of flippancy); further comments inline:

On 2010-02-27 00:03 William Allen Simpson said the following:
Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
On 2010-02-26 20:42 William Allen Simpson said the following:
As of Feb 9th, the IESG posted a second status boilerplate.  But the tool
doesn't yet recognize it....  Be warned.

Specifics, please?

 * Is this the idnits tool or some other tool?
 * Which version did you use?

Whatever the IETF Secretariat is using.

Not particularly helpful.  The program version is indicated on the first line
of its output.  It would have been good if you'd provided the full output
below, instead of snipping away part of it.

 * Did you use the downloaded script or the web-service, and if so, with
which URL?
 * Which boilerplate change specifically isn't recognized? I.e., what is
your input?

http://www.ietf.org/ietf-ftp/1id-guidelines.txt

(I doubt the text below is what you actually submitted; but at least it
does show the boilerplate you refer to.)

I-D Guidelines                                 R. Housley (for the IESG)
                                                           Vigil Security

    In the modern Internet, the need for stable URLs is more important
    than providing multiple sites around the world to obtain I-Ds.
    Also, search engines have replaced the need for a file containing
    a collection of I-D abstracts.  As a result, the second choice is:

       "This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
       provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

       Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
       Task Force (IETF). Note that other groups may also distribute
       working documents as Internet-Drafts. The list of current
       Internet-Drafts is at http://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current.

       Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
       months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
       documents at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-
       Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as
       "work in progress.""

 * What is the output of the tool, given your input?

As indicated earlier, what you provide here is only part of the output, and
you've managed to snip away the part which would have made the actual problem
obvious without detective work.

   ** The document seems to lack a 1id_guidelines paragraph about
      Internet-Drafts being working documents -- however, there's a paragraph
      with a matching beginning. Boilerplate error?

      1id_guidelines, paragraph 1:
      "Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
       Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that other
       groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts."

      ... text found in draft:
      "Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
       Force (IETF). Note that other groups may also distribute working
 ..................^
       documents as Internet-Drafts. The list of current Internet-Drafts
       is at http://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current.";

   ** The document seems to lack a 1id_guidelines paragraph about the list of
      current Internet-Drafts.

      1id_guidelines, paragraph 3:
      "The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
       http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html";

   ** The document seems to lack a 1id_guidelines paragraph about the list of
      Shadow Directories.

      1id_guidelines, paragraph 4:
      "The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
       http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html";

        Henrik