Re: [rt.ietf.org #24364] mail.ietf.org. is ietf.org., Remove MX Records For Less Spam

2010-02-27 01:48:32
On 26 Feb 2010, at 15:42, John Levine wrote:
mail.ietf.org. is ietf.org., so you can remove your MX records for
 ietf.org.  This should cut down on spam since a lot of spambots
 will skip over domains whose MX list cannot be obtained.  Real
 mailers will of course fall back to A/AAAA as per RFC 2821/5321.  A
 few hosts will have trouble, but very, very few indeed, and that
 isn't your (our?) fault.

I checked with some people who run mail for a lot of domains, and they
assure me that spambots will try to deliver to the A record even if
there is an MX.  Where did you get the idea that not having an MX
offers protection from spambots?

That's interesting, but not what I described.

To answer your question, you'd have to try that for yourself.  I am now getting
mostly phishes and scams, but very few member enhancement, expensive watches,
wonder cures or viral mails.  A few, of course - but not many.  And yes, some
of them are originated from PBL-listed addresses.

Oh, and an IPv6-enabled foreign language spam or three.  Lovely.  The spammers
have got there first.

Brief and superficial inspection shows that the scams and phishes are submitted
mostly via webmails and legit relays.  I'm not sure why that is, though I have
read stories about hijacked Internet cafes.

Cheers,
Sabahattin