Re: I-Ds are not RFCs, was Why the normative form of IETF Standards

2010-03-17 19:39:10
Which it is not. xml2rfc is very hard to use for anyone who has
otherwise no experience with XML just because it's XML (the proper
nesting and terminating are hell) and also because at least 50% of
the xml2rfc commands aren't documented.

I guess people's experience differs.  Between the online doc and a
couple of sample documents, it took me maybe an hour to figure out how
to write for xml2rfc, if that.  I suppose it helps to use emacs which
gives you indentation hints, or for that matter an editor like xxe
which writes the XML for you.

Do keep in mind that the vast majority of I-Ds are for other members
of the IETF, not for the RFC editor.  Like any other editor, the RFC
editor knows a lot about spelling and grammar, and about maintaining a
consistent document style, but not much about the technical content of
each RFC.  The nice thing about xml2rfc is that it lets authors mark
the meaningful semantics, e..g., this is a section, that is a
subsection, this is a table, that is a figure, without having to worry
about editorial stuff like page breaks, headers and footers, line
lengths, and parallel use of gerunds.

R's,
John