Re: Make HTML and PDF more prominent, was: Re: Why the normative

2010-03-20 19:31:12
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Tim Bray <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>
wrote:

So you would argue that RFCs should normally be used in paper form? This is
the only way I can see to avoid requiring internet access.

No, I argue as I said, not the words you wish to put in my mouth.

The model for an RFC is an immutable bound volume on a shelf, a model that
has served civilization well for centuries. It can be used that way and has
but the normal use today is via personal computer. Many people have the
entire corpus of RFCs on their laptops and can easily view and search them
in their entirety whether or not they have net access.

Your opinion that RFCs are not available on line is, shall we say,
"interesting"...

This idea seems sane to me. Given the  current policy, the documents are
already not usable on the hundreds of millions of net-capable mobile
devices;  a high quality paper version would avoid making the false promise
that RFCs are "available online".

Donald

On Mar 20, 2010 11:18 AM, "Donald Eastlake" <d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>