Last Call: draft-ietf-syslog-dtls (Datagram Transport Layer Security(DTLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog) to Proposed Standard

2010-05-06 10:59:07

  _____

From: syslog-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:syslog-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Tim Evens
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:02 PM
To: cfinss(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com; jsalowey(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com;
turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com;
clonvick(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
Cc: syslog(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] AD review comments for draft-ietf-syslog-dtls

Hopefully this isn't too late for a review comment...

It appears to me that DTLS as a SYSLOG-MSG transport introduces a new
variable that isn't present with traditional TCP and UDP based
transports with regards to SYSLOG-MSG fragments.

IP/UDP transport allows for IPv4 based fragmentation, even though it
should be avoided for several reasons, there could be useful and valid
application uses for fragmenting UDP packets.   IP/TCP as a transport
supports message segments that can span multiple packets.  Per RFC4347
section 4.1.1,  "each DTLS record MUST fit within a single datagram."
DTLS introduces a sequence_number field to the record layer, which
facilitates reassembly providing the receiving station queues and
reorders.

In this draft, section 5.1 suggests that it's optional for the
implementer to adopt a queue mechanism to resolve reordering.  Later
in section 5.4 it suggests that a single SYSLOG-MSG can be transferred
in multiple DTLS records.

If it is optional to implement DTLS sequence numbers, how does the
originator of the SYSLOG-MSG know that the collector will not reorder
messages?  If the originator knows that the collector will not reorder
DTLS fragments, then it can truncate messages prior to transmission.
In lieu of truncation, the originator could generate multiple
SYSLOG-MSG's using structured data that enables the collector to piece
them together.

There doesn't appear to be a SYSLOG-FRAME ID as part of each DTLS
application-data record.  If a message of say 1400 bytes is sent in 3
packets/DTLS records, and if packet 2 of the 3 was dropped by the
network, how does the collector know that those packets were to be
concatenated as a single SYSLOG-MSG? Without a SYSLOG-FRAME
identifier, the collector would have to assume invalid based on
messages not structured per RFC5424.  Also, if there is no frame ID
and sequence reordering isn't implemented, a out-of-sequence DTLS
record could possibly inadvertently be prepended or appended to the
wrong message, causing a valid message to be corrupt.  It seems this
would be moot if when using DTLS a SYSLOG-MSG must not span multiple
DTLS records.

Thanks,
Tim