Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-27 12:09:01
David Conrad wrote:

and this quote:

"The internet as we know it will no longer be able to grow,"

This means "no more 'new kids' on the block", they will
have to "sublicense" from existing "kids".

IPv4 free pool runout simply means connecting to the Internet
is going to get more expensive.

That is one of the effects of free markets.
If a resource depletes, prices go up.

But mainly I expect that overall usage and cascading depth
of NATs is going to increase and it may result in DSL offerings
where you no longer get a real IP, at which point you no longer
have to option to host at least one service under a well-known
port (forwarded from the NAT on your DSL router).

-Martin

PS: I like this one http://www.explainxkcd.com/2010/05/19/campfire/