Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-28 08:42:55
The size and timing of the address resource problem depends on your viewpoint, of course. Your existing address resources, your growth rate, your subscriber base, the extent to which more NATs remove your problem all vary.

But I would argue this does not really matter so much. I think we have already run out of the addresses, with consequent implications to applications, end-to-end nature of the Internet, and business planning. Just as an example, one mobile operator who participates in the IETF IPv6 and NAT work has half a billion subscribers. Think their planning revolves around asking the RIRs for an address to each customer, as they are rapidly transitioning from circuit switched voice to voip and browser/email/google/facebook-on-everyone's-device model? Arguing about exact dates or the level of catastrophe seems like rearranging the deck chairs on Titanic. Things will be bad. We should focus on changing the direction and making things better.

In any case, I think we are missing the point if we try to argue about the accuracy of mainstream media news articles. Of course they are simplified and twisted to a ridiculous level. Just check any other article where you knew what really was going on.

But I think the important point is that a change is needed. For that to happen, we need to have both an alternative and global awareness of the problem. We will need also mainstream news articles in the latter.

Jari