Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-31 00:10:41
On 31 maj 2010, at 03.39, Mark Andrews wrote:

And have any of those that say this tried:

      1) tried dual stack
      2) tried IPv6 only through NAT64 (NAT-PT)

with a sample of customers or are they just talking without any
reference points.

I am spending lots of my time trying to get some _real_data_, but I do not have
it yet.

I am though running dual stack with native IPv4 and native IPv6 in my home
office, on all my servers, and have quite some experience on dual stack. And
that was not as fun as I expected.

I.e. my data is based on dual stack be worse than I expected, and having people
asking me "would native IPv6 only be better", or "what about native IPv6 with
NAT64/DNS64".

And I have also read various papers people in IETF have written on how to
handle the quite normal case with SMTP where MX records are in use (which have
been far from complete), and then maybe IP6 or IPv4, and IPv6 or IPv4 for DNS
transport, and quite often search paths in DNS as well... The number of DNS
lookups needed explode exponentially, you get timeouts on application layer,
applications show timeout boxes as if the mail server is not responding when in
reality multiple seconds are used for DNS lookups.

It is messy with dual stack. Messier than what I think many people think.
Including me (and I thought I had quite good overview of how it worked).

Runing dual stack internally without external IPv4 connectivity is
just as bad as running dual stack internally without external IPv6
connectivity.  You just don't want to go down that path.

I claim it is worse than having IPv6 only.

Yes.  I've tried to run IPv6 only.  Real IPv6 only, IPv4 completely
disabled in the OS.  It wasn't fun.

So have I. For example at the IETF in Anaheim one morning when IPv4
connectivity was broken.

For me it worked better than dual stack, when accessing things that was
reachable over IPv6. But that was with my OS (MacOSX) that have relatively good
IPv6 support.

So there are good things and bad things with both dual stack and IPv6 only. And
no, we do not have any data, but we do not have good documents on how to run
dual stack either.

   Patrik