Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-01 11:42:04
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Masataka Ohta
<mohta(_at_)necom830(_dot_)hpcl(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp> wrote:
paf wrote:

It all works pretty well if the client have IPv4 and IPv6
_AND_ both works. But to some degree the functionality and
user experience goes down if either of IPv4 or IPv6 have
problems.

Same is true for a host with two IPv4 addresses and either of
the IPv4 addresses have problems.

Same is true for a host with two IPv6 addresses and either of
the IPv6 addresses have problems.

The problem can be solved by carefully designing connection
establishment protocols to support multiple addresses of a
host, which means no solution exists at the connectionless
layer of IP.

Modified TCP, which send multiple SYN to several addresses
of a peer helps a lot to reduce timeout.

I am pretty sure we can fix the problem if we are prepared to adapt
the stack somewhat.

The alternative is to do nothing and let various people hack the stack
up completely with meat axes and then we will be working round the
consequences for decades.

But really, the challenge is that carrier grade NAT works just fine
for the ISPs who have the decision making power here.

Whatever happens, 4 billion IPv4 addresses is probably more than
enough for the people who really, really care about having an IPv4
address.

The punters want to be on the Web, do video conferencing and maybe do
some SMTP email. Thats not much of a demand to work with.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/