Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-01 12:32:02

On 30/05/2010 23:52, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote :
People are not going to use IPv6 if it takes the slightest effort on
their part. People are not going to switch their home networks over to
IPv6 if it means a single device on the network is going to stop
working. In my case it would cost me $4K to upgrade my 48" plotter to
an IPv6 capable system. No way is that going to happen till there are
$50 IPv6 plotters on EBay.

Sorry, but that's a red herring.

No, not really. Unless you're willing to fully upgrade to IPv6, you're
talking about continuing to use NAT for the legacy IPv4 devices. And that
buys you into substantial complexity in terms of routing and configuration.

You're speaking about IPv4 decommissioning, not IPv6 implementation.
Implementing IPv6 will do nothing to your local plotter.Your computer
will keep addressing IPv4 to it.
Nothing stops you from always running dual stack at home, with your IPv4
behind your NAT/PAT.

Have you tried implementing IPv6 at home?

As a matter of fact I have. It was a total disaster and after spending several
days trying to get it to work I gave up. The specific problems I had were with
DNS queries being blocked for mysterious reasons and hairpin routing
configuration problems, but the simple fact that such esoteric issues had to be
dealt with by a home network admin sort of says it all.

As I've stated previously, I believe the main piece that's missing is a
SOHO-grade router that has full IPv6 support, 6to4 support, full
IPv4/NAT/firewall support, plus a readonably intuitive GUI to administer it
all. If such a product exists I continue to be unaware of it.

                                Ned