Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-10 09:45:12
to check and see if this device supports multiple IPv4 addresses and 1:1 NAT.
Unless I'm missing something, it does not. It does have NATPT, but that's not
sufficient.

I always cringe when I see such discussions hinging around what an
Internet gateway
box "supports". The word "supports" is such a weasel word which makes minor
imperfections that are easily fixed seem like major problems. What is
"supported"
is usually just the set of the features that the manufacturer wants to
document and
publish. Devices often have unsupported features that work fine so the question
of whether or not a feature is "supported" has more to do with whether
technically
incompetent people will feel comfortable using it.

Instead, I think it is better to look at what features *EXIST* for the
platform and
what subset of those features are IMPLEMENTED. Many Internet gateway boxes
are based on an embedded Linux platform, so just about any IPv6 feature that
you can imagine EXISTS and whether or not it is implemented is primarily down
to the will of the manufacturer. There was a time when RAM capacity was also
a limiting issue but I think that time has passed.

Nowadays, if an Internet gateway lacks some feature that is widely implemented
on Linux, then it is a minor imperfection that should be easy to fix
if only people
will COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH THE MANUFACTURER, not through the
press and Internet mailing lists.

Yes, I am aware that not all Internet gateway boxes are based on Linux, but if
that creates a barrier to implementing features like IPv6, then the marketplace
can sort out that issue.

--Michael Dillon