Re: Models of change Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-16 10:11:39
The mistake there being to insist on implementation of the IPv6
specification rather than what is necessary to enable the transition
to IPv6.

You can't build a building without scaffolding. In the middle ages the
design of the scaffold was often as great an engineering feat as the
building (c.f. Brunelleschi  and the dome of Florence cathedral).

We have had a lot of people focused on the desired end state and not
enough consideration given to what it takes to get to that end state.
The idea of developing technology whose sole purpose is to enable a
transition is not always appreciated.

I am just writing a proposal in another field which argues for a
considerable sum to be invested for the sole purpose of reducing the
number of indispensable parties by one. I have no particular reason to
expect that party not to co-operate. In fact I have designed the
political drivers so that their participation is eventually
inevitable. But I need to convince other parties to move before this
has become generally apparent.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Melinda Shore