RE: Protocol for TCP heartbeats?

2010-06-25 13:08:54

You could do packet captures with wireshark.  I would off load it if you are
trying to research on a production machine though.  I think that you can do a
defined capture just for TCP keepalives.  Cisco is a span-port command if you
want to see from source to destination and reverse.

Just a thought

Chadwick

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 19:46:45 +0200
From: sustrik(_at_)250bpm(_dot_)com
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Protocol for TCP heartbeats?

Hi all,

I haven't been able to find it but maybe someone knows here: Have there
been a protocol defined for checking whether TCP peer is alive or not?
(I mean one that plays well with networks with various latencies and
throughputs and won't congest the network even if used on a wide scale.)

Thanks in advance!
Martin