Re: [78attendees] WARNING !!! Re: Maastricht to Brussels-Nat-Aero, Sat 07:09

2010-08-30 10:34:22
At 12:58 AM -0700 8/28/10, Fred Baker wrote:

Hiroshima, Barcelona, and Maastricht are equally "secondary" to me. I take a commuter flight, I take a flight between hubs, and I do something else (flight or train, and the train's a lot more comfortable than flying), and I'm there. If I'm on three flights or two and a train, to me that's pretty normal. Leaves me wondering what the fuss is about.

I'm glad it was so easy for you to get to Maastricht and Hiroshima. I know that a number of people had equally easy access. However, others had much more difficult journeys, involving multiple trains/taxis, and confusing and conflicting information.

If you're arguing against Maastricht on the basis of it being secondary, do you really want to go there?

Maastricht is not well-connected to international airports in the summer.

I agree they need to be good venues. Was Hiroshima a good venue, by your analysis? It seemed very good to me. So did Maastricht, although we had to fix the Internet access in the conference hotel. My only complaint there, to be honest, is that I used Swisscom in the Crowne Plaza and several other hotels while in Europe, and with the exception of the NH Airport Brussels, they all had loss rates on the order of 1% or greater for the duration that I was measuring. I thought Maastricht was a great city.

In Hiroshima, we met in a large hotel in a dense area. In Maastricht, there was only one hotel close to where we met, and the Internet access required a Herculean effort that I don't think we have a right to demand. (It was difficult to find smoke-free food in Hiroshima, except for the nearby department store's food court, but I can live with that.)

So, I'd say both Maastricht and Hiroshima were hard to get to, and Maastricht additionally had less good facilities.

--
Randall Gellens