RE: The Evils of Informational RFC's

2010-09-09 07:07:25
And add to that one that Mr Burger should vaguely recall  :-)

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3482.txt

Number Portability in the Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN):
                              An Overview

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Fred
Baker
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:49 PM
To: Eric Burger
Cc: IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: The Evils of Informational RFC's

Please, no.

The RFC Series is not a collection of standards. It is community memory, and
in it we have white papers that have been seminal such as RFC 970, problem
statements, requirements documents, and analyses of a wide variety, all of
which are informational.

Let me give you two specific examples:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2804.txt
2804 IETF Policy on Wiretapping. IAB, IESG. May 2000. (Format:
     TXT=18934 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3924.txt
3924 Cisco Architecture for Lawful Intercept in IP Networks. F. Baker,
     B. Foster, C. Sharp. October 2004. (Format: TXT=40826 bytes) (Status:
     INFORMATIONAL)

The former gives a view on the topic of lawful interception, and requests
that anyone that develops an interception technology publish it so that it
can be reviewed openly within the community. The latter does exactly that.

The collected experience in the RFC series is at least as valuable as the
protocol descriptions in it.