Re: US DoD and IPv6

On 2010-09-28 13:59, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
On Sep 27, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
The date slippage is not a big deal, I'm ignoring that. What is of more
interest is that it appears (from the news story) that there has been a
further* change of course on IPv6 adoption, from 'we _are_ going to
transition' to 'in cases where there is a monetary or operational case to
convert, it will happen, but otherwise not'.

Does this surprise anyone with experience with the DOD ? It doesn't me.

It sound to me like a case for the phrase often used by my late colleague
Mervyn Hine at CERN, when the management performed a U-turn: "Aha! Reality has
broken in again."

The fact is that official mandates are not a very good reason for
upgrading systems. Running out of a resource is a much better one.
http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/

The fact of the matter as a vendor, is that if you want to get through
network equipment requirements for, for example the army approved
products list (AAPL), ipv6 conformance testing is now no longer an
annnex, it's simply part of the process.

The 2005 mandate said that equipment and services you procure for
certain roles in the network must have the ipv6 compliant checkbox
ticked, we're well beyond that now.

   Brian

Regards
Marshall

Can anyone shed any light on this apparent change in policy?

    Noel

-----

* The only other policy course change I am aware of is the one from August
16, 2005 ("Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Policy Update"), which said
that:

 "... waiver submissions for programs not transitioning to IPv6 by FY2008.
 Henceforth, IPv6 waivers are not required by DoD CIO policy."

(The original September 29, 2003 policy had said "If the IPv6 capable
criteria {for any DoD acquistion} cannot be met, a waiver will be
required.")

I suppose that technically the seeming current course fits within that
updated
policy, but it still seems to be a change in emphasis and direction.