Re: US DoD and IPv6

2010-09-29 17:55:42

--On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 14:34 -0400 RJ Atkinson
<rja(_dot_)lists(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

However, in this case, that question is directly answered
in the article that Noel originally mentioned.
To quote directly:
      "I don't forsee a crisis, per se … the big driver,
      in my mind, excluding DoD, will be the explosion
      of requirement for IP addresses, given where we are
      headed from a technology standpoint," he added.

      Conversely, he said, the Department of Defense networks
      won't be under the same strain."

So official DoD sources have said publicly that the DoD
does not have an IPv4 address shortage.
BOTTOM LINE:

The mind boggles at the myriad possibilities here.  It seems so
incredibly unlikely that end-to-end connectivity (i.e. without
NAT, NAPT, or other middleboxes) is going to increase in
future.

Of course, one of those myriad possibilities, at least in
principle, is that the Administration decides that DoD should
move forward with IPv6, wait until the IANA allocations of IPv4
addresses run out, and then auction their considerable surplus
at scarcity-market rates... thereby reducing the national debt
and postponing the date of a real IPv4 address crisis by a few
months :-).

No, I'm not holding my breath.

    john