Re: Draft Review Request - IRTP IANA Considerations

2011-01-11 09:12:34
11.01.2011 13:28, t.petch wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mykyta Yevstifeyev"<evnikita2(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "Joe Touch"<touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>
Cc:
"t.petch"<ietfc(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>;<gorry(_at_)erg(_dot_)abdn(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:24 AM

Joe,

2011/1/10, Joe Touch<touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>:

On 1/7/2011 9:16 PM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
"You need to explain why these protocols *need* to be moved to
Historic". Such actions are typically reserved for protocols in
current use that are dangerous, or protocols that are in current use
that are being replaced by other protocols. Neither is the case here.
There is no need to "move to Historic" (i.e., "deprecate", within the
IETF process) such protocols.

See my message in IETF Discussion list.
For those not on that list:

- there are many others who share my view that moving experimental
protocols to historic isn't useful per se, especially these protocols in
particular
What 'these'? See that below.
- your argument appears to be "the definition of Historic is incorrect"

Maybe a bit. It is more narrow and unclear than incorrect.
Given your argument, it's difficult to appreciate why you claim it is
urgent to move these protocols to a status whose definition you
explicitly disagree with.
What protocols? Curently I'm speaking only about one - IRTP.
Joe,
Yes, and that is one of the three (IRTP, NETBLT, RDP) that you
raised on the ietf list under 'Old transport-layer protocols to Historic?'
It was to request the discussion on topics related with all these protocols.
And as Joe has accurately pointed out, the ietf list has generated a lot
of responses, from names I know well and have a high regard for,
almost all of which say that this is a bad idea.  It is true that for
NETBLT and for RDP concrete reasons have been given why this
is a very bad idea; doubtless we coud find similar reasons for IRTP.
As well as I know, almost all responses concerned only RDP and NETBLT, and nearly nobody said anything about IRTP. So I want to ask that now - what was IRTP developed for? Is there any real reason it may be used?

Mykyta
So you have proposed moving protocols to Historic and practically
no-one agrees with what you say.

Tom Petch

Mykyta
Joe