As chair, I can say that consensus was to make this normative, not
With the best will in the world, I was there, and I saw no such consensus.
We discussed it live at IETF 80, and I posted the following minutes to
the mailing list on 28 March:
3. Discussion of mailinglists document:
Murray listed some questions he has...
1. Should we include an appendix discussing what we see as useful
changes to MUAs?
a: No; out of scope. Perhaps an MUA BCP done at another time.
2. Should this be Informational or BCP?
a: BCP, making it clear when we're insufficiently certain about something.
Last Call will sort out any objections.
3. Should we remove discussion about dealing with broken DKIM
4. Should we put advice in about what header fields re-signing MLMs
5. Should explicitly reference ESPs? They're different from MLMs.
6. Should we change advice about subdomains, creating "streams"?
That reflects strong consensus in the room in Prague, and there was no
objection on the mailing list after the minutes were posted.
Ietf mailing list