Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-22 21:22:03
Hi Ray -

See below

At 08:15 PM 8/22/2011, Ray Pelletier wrote:

On Aug 22, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:

Hi folks -

I just reserved with the hotel and was quite surprised at the cancellation
policy.

Could you please confirm - Cancel before 1 Nov - no charge, 1-7 Nov 1 night,
after 7 Nov full amount?

As stated on the meeting site:  <http://www.ietf.org/meeting/82/hotel.html>

Guest Cancellation: Individuals may cancel reservations without penalty until
7 days prior to scheduled check-in/arrival. In case of cancellation between 3
and 7 days prior to scheduled check-in/arrival, the Hotel holds the right to
charge the individuals one night?s stay as a cancellation fee. In case of
cancellation less than 3 days prior to the scheduled check-in/arrival or
non-arrival or no-show, the Hotel holds the right to charge the individuals
for the entire scheduled stay as a cancellation fee.

The policy stated on the hotel web site (to which I had to agree to get the
reservation)  was Nov 1-7 1 day, after Nov 7 - full amount.  Obviously a
disconnect.

We strive at each meeting to get the best cancellation policies that we can,
looking for a 1 day cancellation penalty for a cancellation.  Often, in Asia
and Europe in particular, they will not agree to this. We did negotiate this
pretty heavily to get the terms we now have.  Originally, the hotel wanted to
the entire stay to be charged for cancellation or no-show at the cut-off date
(26 October).

Could you refresh my memory as to which hotels we stayed at had this policy?  I
literally cannot remember having any hotel cancellation policy with more than a
single night fee ever.

I will point out there are at least two hotels in walking distance with only
slightly more expensive rack rates that have only a 1 night fee if you don't
cancel at least 24 hours in advance.  It may be useful to have the hotel
re-address the cancellation fee issue in light of that.

Thanks - Mike

While this may only a solution for some, names may be substituted without
penalty up to the event.

Guest Substitution: Guests may substitute names for reserved rooms without
penalty up to the event.

Ray

Seriously?  This is extreme. I can understand a 1 day fee up to the date of
the reservation and maybe even charging the full amount if I don't cancel,
but paying $1500+ because I had to cancel at the last moment seems a bit
confiscatory.

Mike