Re: 2119bis

2011-08-29 19:08:37
Thanks for starting this, Peter. A few comments / topics for discussion:

1) I agree that the "SHOULD... UNLESS" pattern ought be documented.

2) I strongly believe that authors should be encouraged to enumerate the
potential subjects of conformance terms, and to use them in every instance.

For example, a requirement like this:

"""The Foo header MUST contain the "bar" directive"""

is ambiguous; it doesn't specify who has to do what. Rather,

"""Senders MUST include the "bar" directive when producing the Foo header;
recipients that receive a Foo header without a "bar" directive MUST ..."""

is unambiguous (assuming that the spec defines the terms "sender" and
"recipient").

3) It may be worth further cautioning against over-use of MAY; this is the
most-abused term, IME. Perhaps encouraging people to make requirements testable
on the wire would help.

4) WRT to the status of the document -- if people really feel that we don't
need to revise 2119, I'd define this as a superset of 2119 and NOT obsolete it;
i.e., have documents opt into it. However, I'd hope that we can get consensus
that it's time to build on what 2119 offers.

Cheers,