Re: The death John McCarthy

2011-11-01 08:22:14
By the time period Steve talks about I was out of diapers and able to toddle on
my own.

Fast forward a few years and I was exposed to LISP (the real one, not the IETF
one) when I did my thesis at the MIT LCS and fell in love with it.  To the
point that I regularly argued with various cretins from Berkeley who felt that
C, not LISP, was the language of the gods.  It took a true grey beard to
interject and say that assembly language was the language of the gods, because
both LISP and C compiled into machine language, so if you could not write a
program in assembly language, you could not write it at all. My rebuttal that
we had lots of LISP machines hanging around didn't make much of an impact on
the argument.

Since the relative demise of LISP/Scheme and the ascension of the semicolon
over the parenthesis, MIT has gotten its revenge, inflicting the angle bracket
in the parenthesis' place through the global adoption of XML.

Yes, I *have* seen XML language proposals that look deceptively identical to
the lambda calculus...