Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming - Updated

2011-11-16 03:00:28
On 11/16/11 16:26 , Yaakov Stein wrote:
I want to somewhat retract my earlier statement on how good the audio quality
has been.

After being very impressed with the quality on many sessions,
this morning I attempted to be (inter)active in a session.

I discovered that the delay was intolerably long,
over 5 seconds one-way delay between seeing a jabber update and hearing the
associated audio.
And the jabber typing presumably took some time too, so the real delay was
even higher.
By the time I heard the chair ask for questions, I typed in a question and
the jabber scribe saw it,
the next speaker was already talking.

It is conventional in speech quality metrics to distinguish between whether
the application is one-way or interactive.
When interactive, if the delay is too long for the application to properly
function,
the subjective quality is effectively zero.

So, for plenary presentations and sessions where one just wants to listen the
audio is great.
For sessions where one is used to playing an active role, the quality is
completely unacceptable.

We've been pretty unequivical on the internet radio streaming model
associated with the mp3 audio stream.

Paul Hoffman has been charged with the responsibility for producing the
rfp for it's enhancement or replacement. I think that's a worthy project.

I captured a few packets and discovered that the audio is MPEG sampled at
22050 over http over tcp.
Perhaps we could have a parallel RTSP 8K flow for people desiring it.

Y(J)S