Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-16 19:56:48
On 11/16/2011 01:45 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:
Just saying, but if we want to ensure that presentations are readable 50 years
from now, and do not embed some kind of malicious code, we might stick to ASCII
text, right?

Yes, clearly.

It's hard to know what to say about the suggestion that PowerPoint
is an appropriate archival format, other than maybe it's time for
folks to learn more about archiving.  To be honest it's my impression
that it's just people trying to find some reason - any reason - to
justify their preferred tools.  The notion that current PowerPoint
formats being the ones most likely to be interpretable in 2061, of
the formats now available, really doesn't hold up under serious
scrutiny.

But hey, now we know that at least the proponents of the archival
view are going to have crud-free slides, in the interest of
parsability at unknown future times.

Melinda