Re: discouraged by .docx was Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-26 13:51:49
I gather that you consider ECMA-376 and ISO/IEC 29500 formats to be
proprietary.

In this case, we've seen references to /continuing/ interoperability problems when trying to use docx.

I wouldn't disagree, but if we mean easy to interoperate, let's say so.

Word 97-2003 format is totally proprietary, but is now sufficiently widely reverse engineered that it interoperates pretty well. On the other hand, ODF format is well documented and interoperates well among different software that support it, but since old versions of Microsoft Office don't support it, we get complaints.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",